Thursday, June 14, 2007

Last Day!


Today was the last day of school for Nicholas. They had a little graduation ceremony in his classroom, which was adorable. The kids sang some songs and each stood up and told everyone their favorite Kindergarten memory. Nicholas said his was the Valentine's day party. What can I say? He's a lover, not a fighter. They showed a slide show of various pictures that were taken of the kids throughout the year - it was very nicely done. Lauren was in more than a few of the pictures - honorary kindergartener that she (thinks) she is (she was able to come with me each time I voluteered in the classroom). Each of the kids were presented with "diplomas" and told they were ready for First Grade. Nicholas is pretty excited to be a First Grader because that is a Big Deal. I'm pretty excited, too, because now he'll attend school ALL DAY. We're both ready for that.

At the little party Nicholas asked me to take several pictures of him with some of his friends. I hope he remembers each of them as the years go by. It was a very good year for him and he made many nice friends. We have no idea yet who will be in his first grade class with him, but I hope that at least a few of his closer friends will be in his class. There are a few friendships I'd like to see continue into next year and beyond. Good kids.

The school sent home the various testing they'd done with the kids throughout the year. I'd seen most of it at one time or another. I was happy to see good progress with reading and writing this year. Spelling is not a strong suit of Nicholas' but I hope it will come in time. He seems to do well with math, but I don't think it was very emphasized in kindergarten. Very, very simple math was touched on. I worked with him on math at home and he's learned more from my rudimentary lessons than anything he got from school. But I think reading is where he really excelled, which makes me so happy. He's always been a strong reader, and it was something his teacher continued to work with him on and gave him increasingly difficult reading and writing assignments throughout the year. I noticed on one of the more recent reading assessments that he's reading at a 3rd-4th grade level already. Chapter books are what he prefers now, and he's reading silently to himself before bed each night. I love it! HE pushed ME to get him signed up for the Summer Reading Program through our local library and set a lofty goal for himself: 12 chapter books. I'm very proud of him.

Now, we just have to make it through the summer in one piece.



Comments:
MP -- way to go for Nicholas. I am actually dreading kindergarten just because I go out to work three days a week and the half day thing will be a royal pain!

Sam likes chapter books as well, but I am having a hard time dfinding age appropriate ones. Do you have any suggestions?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Free Counters
Hit Counters

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?