Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My Anniversary Gift...

.... is a lovely head cold! Just what I always wanted! What it SHOULD be is the ability to actaully take a sick day. SAHM's don't get sick days, which just makes the days when we actually ARE sick much, much worse. Yes, it seems I've caught Mr. Chick's cold and feel shitty. I can't get warm. My head is thick and has a constant dull ache. I can't breathe through my nose and HATE mouth-breathing. My lips are chapped from all the damn mouth-breathing. The delicate skin under my nose is sore from all the futile nose-blowing. I'm tired but find it hard to sleep. Not that I could, mind you, when my daughter refuses to nap, but still - I tried.

Last night I knew it was hitting me, and I had to get up out of my warm bed at 5-something A.M. just to drink some water and brush me teeth because my tongue felt thick and downright fuzzy from getting all dried out from mouth-breathing for hours. It was RANK and had to be dealt with, no matter the personal cost of actually getting out of bed. There is nothing fouler than the taste/feel of a mouth after hours of endless, exclusive mouth-breathing. I'd rather French a smelly homeless chain-smoker than experience the nastiness of that taste/feel ever again.

See, people, THIS is the reason why you should ALWAYS COVER YOUR COUGHS AND SNEEZES AND WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY! Moms seem to know this, but dads, sadly, tend to come up short on that. At least in my house. Mr. Chick sometimes remembers to cover his sneezes, but more likely will just turn his head away and let 'er rip. It's gross and I'm all over him about this, but I guess old habits die hard. Nicholas is actually really good about it. He generally remembers to sneeze into the crook of your arm at the elbow every time. Which is the correct way to do it, for those of you who weren't aware. It (the sneeze) avoids the hands that way when you're not right at a sink to decontaminate the now-affected hands you just sneezed into. It's how they do it in hospitals. Nicholas was taught well, if I do say so myself. My mom is a nurse, what can I say?

So I KNEW I was likely going to catch this cold. I knew it. And I warned Mr. Chick to not get me sick because he started his new job and it's not like he can take a day or two off to help me out. Out of the question. And so now I suffer.

But
wait! It gets better! Nicholas has the cold, too! We caught it together - isn't that special? Lauren is still ok, but Nicholas is whining about how he's got a "really really REALLY bad cold, Mama. I don't feel good at ALL." and I'm like, "me too!" but then I must get over myself and tend to him. And play Go Fish with my 2.5 yr old. And read books. And get more milk and yogurt and crackers, and deal with, ".. but I don't LIKE rice for dinner!".

Sometimes being a grown-up sucks. I want someone to come take care of ME instead of the other way around. I don't mind caring for my family when they're sick and I'm well, but when we're all sick it just means that I have to suck it up and continue to be mom. Even when I don't feel like it.

Because you just can't count on the toddler to make dinner for everyone. Especially when she's not potty-trained.

Comments:
potty training sucks!
 
I am with you on this one! Hey, I had the stomach flu and was pregnant, first trimester, and my hubby didn't stay home. You can be sure he heard about that one! (Unlike Mr.Chick, he was not starting a new job.)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Free Counters
Hit Counters

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?