Monday, January 23, 2006

It's My Potty & I'll Cry If I Want To


We had a monumental evening around here last night. Lauren, after months of "practicing" with no success, finally managed to pee a few drops in the toilet! And I do mean few. But they counted so I'll take what I can get. It was exciting to say the least, and the whole family witnessed this miraculous moment. I'm not sure she appreciated the audience, but I figured it's all fair game - I mean, she watches me in those most-private of moments, so quid-pro-quo.

It was Mr. Chick who gets the glory for making this big event happen. We had all been out in the hottub and I left first. He got the kids out and decided to sit a very naked Lauren on the throne before getting her into her diaper and pajamas. Thes stars and planets must have been aligned because it worked. And I would have thought that there wouldn't have been any urine left in her after being in the hottub. I just assumed she would have peed in there. Shows you how much I (don't) know. We made a very big deal out of her leaking out a few droplets, and I think it made her outwardly shy but inwardly pleased as hell. Because she tried again (with her pj's on) a couple of more times that night.

I wanted to reward this positive behavior and ran to the cupboard to find a little treat for my suddenly big girl. I was thinking of a chocolate chip. I used to give those to Nicholas when he was potty training and I ALWAYS have chocolate chips on hand. But wouldn't you know it? No chocolate chips. Damn this "eating healthy" thing! So I had to settle for a Tic Tac. Lame, I know, but it's the best I could do in a pinch. Lauren had never had a Tic Tac before (choking hazzard and all that), but it must have come across as a very big deal to her because she really enjoyed it. I wish I got that much pleasure and satisfaction from one little Tic Tac.

Nicholas was part of this whole potty party. He even told Lauren that he was proud of her. But then he got solemn and went to his room. When he's upset he crawls into his bed and pouts. I think his bed is his sanctuary, like all good beds should be. Turns out he was feeling dissed because Lauren got the special treat and he didn't. So much drama over a stupid Tic Tac! Mr. Chick and I had a little talk with him and he was feeling better enough to get out of bed and ask for ice cream. Which we gave him. Because it was a Potty Party!

I'm not delusional enough to believe this is the beginning of potty training for Miss Lauren. It's not. It's but a mere baby step on the path of potty training. But I'll take what I can get and celebrate every damn milestone along the way. I'm looking forward to the day when I can be done with diapers forever, and last night I saw the glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Hooray!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Free Counters
Hit Counters

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?